It’s the first day of summer! Did it catch you by surprise this year? The first official day of summer falls on June 20, 2012 at 7:09pm to be exact. It’s a day earlier than it’s been for the past three years due to the fact that 2012 is a leap year. On summer solstice, we receive more sunlight than on any other day of the year. And the sun is definitely out today with soaring temperatures throughout the country. We can expect about 14 hours of sunlight today.
Summer solstice celebrations date back to ancient times where cultures like the Egyptians built the Great Pyramids so that the sun, when viewed from the Sphinx, could set precisely between two of the Pyramids on the summer solstice. Now our Northern indoor culture is not exactly going to be building pyramids. But we sure can get out and sing and dance oh whey oh like an Egyptian to celebrate summer.
Now living in Buffalo, NY we don’t often need a reason to celebrate the sun…when it comes out so do we. But, those few extra minutes of sun can provide just the time you need to enjoy some summer traditions. A great and simple way to celebrate summer on today is to fire up the barbeque and grill dinner rather than cooking it. Follow your outdoor dinner with a visit to the local park and a stop by the local ice cream shop. At least that’s my plan and a perfect way to celebrate the start of summer. And of course I will walk like an Egyptian, oh whey oh, or at least groove to it on this summer day.
- The Best Dress Tweets - March 2, 2015
- Perfect Day In Niagara USA! Where To Go And What To Do - February 26, 2015
- On The Hustle - February 26, 2015
- How To Wear High Heels - February 25, 2015
- Zendaya Locks Horns With Giuliana Rancic Over Oscar Hair Comment - February 24, 2015
- 2015 Oscars Red Carpet Best Dressed List - February 22, 2015
- The Viral Video That Shows Why Moms Get Nothing Done - February 20, 2015
- 3 Things No One Tells You About Newborns - February 19, 2015
- Watch As Magic Ensues When Disney Characters Surprise Shoppers - February 18, 2015
- What To Do When The Whole Family is Sick - February 17, 2015