It’s the first day of summer! Did it catch you by surprise this year? The first official day of summer falls on June 20, 2012 at 7:09pm to be exact. It’s a day earlier than it’s been for the past three years due to the fact that 2012 is a leap year. On summer solstice, we receive more sunlight than on any other day of the year. And the sun is definitely out today with soaring temperatures throughout the country. We can expect about 14 hours of sunlight today.
Summer solstice celebrations date back to ancient times where cultures like the Egyptians built the Great Pyramids so that the sun, when viewed from the Sphinx, could set precisely between two of the Pyramids on the summer solstice. Now our Northern indoor culture is not exactly going to be building pyramids. But we sure can get out and sing and dance oh whey oh like an Egyptian to celebrate summer.
Now living in Buffalo, NY we don’t often need a reason to celebrate the sun…when it comes out so do we. But, those few extra minutes of sun can provide just the time you need to enjoy some summer traditions. A great and simple way to celebrate summer on today is to fire up the barbeque and grill dinner rather than cooking it. Follow your outdoor dinner with a visit to the local park and a stop by the local ice cream shop. At least that’s my plan and a perfect way to celebrate the start of summer. And of course I will walk like an Egyptian, oh whey oh, or at least groove to it on this summer day.
- #NationalLipstickDay Tutorial How To Get The Perfect Red Lips - July 29, 2015
- Remembering Bobbi Kristina And Learning From Her Passing - July 26, 2015
- The Reality Of Growing Up With Glasses (LOL Memes!) - July 21, 2015
- One Brilliant (And Free) Cure To “I’m Bored!” - July 20, 2015
- The Scoop On #NationalIceCreamDay Freebies - July 19, 2015
- All About Ant-Man #AntManEvent - July 18, 2015
- How To Fake A Bang. No Cut Techniques! - July 17, 2015
- 2015 Primetime Emmy Award Nominations List - July 16, 2015
- 2015 Espy Awards Red Carpet Arrivals - July 15, 2015
- You Win Some, You Learn Some! Words To Grow By - July 15, 2015