Google honored author and anthropologist Zora Neale Hurston . Google commemorated the acclaimed author in a doodle on its home page in celebration of her January 7th birthday. The Google doodle of Zora Neale Hurston who was born 123 years ago spiked an interest in the author along with tributes across social media platforms like Twitter.
As a child one of my favorite things to do was to get lost in a book. And one of my favorite authors was and still is Zora Neale Hurston. Hurston published four novels and more than 50 short stories, plays and essays. My favorite Zora Neale Hurston book is the one she is best known for the 1937 “Their Eyes Were Watching God.”
Zora’s works captured the folklore of blacks primarily in the U.S. South and particularly in her home state of Florida. I would get lost into the coming of age story of Janie Crawford and her loves including my favorite Tea Cake in “Their Eyes Were Watching God”. Once I liked a book if I read it once I read it a hundred times! Well, in this case probably eleven times but who’s counting. The best known film adapted from the book was in 2005 and starred Halle Berry in the role of Zora. There also have been other tributes and mentions such as in the 1993 film “Made In America” starring Whoopi Goldberg and Ted Danson where a young Will Smith portrayed Tea Cake and Nia Long “Zora”.
Here is the Google Doodle:
You can learn more about Zora Neale Hurston here.
- Tell Me Something Good! A Live & Learn Mom On A Mission - March 3, 2017
- This Dad Delivering His Baby In The Car Will Give You All The Feels - March 10, 2017
- The Amazing Thing The Little Caesars Founder Did For Rosa Parks - March 8, 2017
- The Beauty Facts And Tips You Need To Know - March 8, 2017
- The BEAUTY AND THE BEAST World Premiere Was Everything You Thought It Would Be - March 3, 2017
- 5 Year Old’s Tribute To Historical Black Icons Will Inspire You - February 28, 2017
- #Oscars Best Dressed! Live & Learn Academy Awards Style - February 27, 2017
- A New Star Wars Story Production Begins! - February 28, 2017
- Live & Learn Style: Here’s How To Get Gabrielle Union’s Chic New Bob Hairstyle - February 24, 2017
- This Little Girl’s Response To A Bully Calling Her Ugly Is Priceless - February 21, 2017