Google honored author and anthropologist Zora Neale Hurston . Google commemorated the acclaimed author in a doodle on its home page in celebration of her January 7th birthday. The Google doodle of Zora Neale Hurston who was born 123 years ago spiked an interest in the author along with tributes across social media platforms like Twitter.
As a child one of my favorite things to do was to get lost in a book. And one of my favorite authors was and still is Zora Neale Hurston. Hurston published four novels and more than 50 short stories, plays and essays. My favorite Zora Neale Hurston book is the one she is best known for the 1937 “Their Eyes Were Watching God.”
Zora’s works captured the folklore of blacks primarily in the U.S. South and particularly in her home state of Florida. I would get lost into the coming of age story of Janie Crawford and her loves including my favorite Tea Cake in “Their Eyes Were Watching God”. Once I liked a book if I read it once I read it a hundred times! Well, in this case probably eleven times but who’s counting. The best known film adapted from the book was in 2005 and starred Halle Berry in the role of Zora. There also have been other tributes and mentions such as in the 1993 film “Made In America” starring Whoopi Goldberg and Ted Danson where a young Will Smith portrayed Tea Cake and Nia Long “Zora”.
Here is the Google Doodle:
You can learn more about Zora Neale Hurston here.
- Jennifer Hudson Gave A Prince Tribute Worthy Of The Purple One - June 26, 2016
- The Best Finding Dory Recipes And Activities - June 26, 2016
- Shark Party Ideas That You Can Bite Off - June 25, 2016
- Dream Country The BFG’s Red Carpet Premiere! - June 24, 2016
- The Hack That Will Give You Pretty Summer Feet - June 23, 2016
- One Brilliant (And Free) Cure To “I’m Bored!” - June 23, 2016
- Sophie From The BFG Inspires A New Kind Of Disney Hero To My Daughter - June 16, 2016
- I’m Going To The Land Of Dreams For The BFG Premiere! #TheBFGEvent - June 16, 2016
- Gobblefunk 101: What’s Your Gobblefunk? - June 15, 2016
- This Grooms Reaction To Seeing His Bride Will Have You Boo-Who Crying - June 15, 2016