Google honored author and anthropologist Zora Neale Hurston . Google commemorated the acclaimed author in a doodle on its home page in celebration of her January 7th birthday. The Google doodle of Zora Neale Hurston who was born 123 years ago spiked an interest in the author along with tributes across social media platforms like Twitter.
As a child one of my favorite things to do was to get lost in a book. And one of my favorite authors was and still is Zora Neale Hurston. Hurston published four novels and more than 50 short stories, plays and essays. My favorite Zora Neale Hurston book is the one she is best known for the 1937 “Their Eyes Were Watching God.”
Zora’s works captured the folklore of blacks primarily in the U.S. South and particularly in her home state of Florida. I would get lost into the coming of age story of Janie Crawford and her loves including my favorite Tea Cake in “Their Eyes Were Watching God”. Once I liked a book if I read it once I read it a hundred times! Well, in this case probably eleven times but who’s counting. The best known film adapted from the book was in 2005 and starred Halle Berry in the role of Zora. There also have been other tributes and mentions such as in the 1993 film “Made In America” starring Whoopi Goldberg and Ted Danson where a young Will Smith portrayed Tea Cake and Nia Long “Zora”.
Here is the Google Doodle:
You can learn more about Zora Neale Hurston here.
- Lancome Counter Makeover At Macy’s - October 9, 2015
- Best Paris Fashion Week Looks From The Front Row to The Runway - October 6, 2015
- Here’s America’s Real First Family – Signed, Everyone - October 6, 2015
- Find Your Beauty Needs At BSW Beauty - October 2, 2015
- Kevin Hart Becomes David Beckham For H&M (Sort Of!) - September 30, 2015
- Best Pictures From The Super Blood Moon - September 28, 2015
- Global Citizen Festival Highlights - September 27, 2015
- “The Voice” Blind Audition That You Have To See: Jordan Smith - September 22, 2015
- Best Quotes From The Primetime Emmy Awards - September 21, 2015
- 2015 Emmy Awards Red Carpet - September 20, 2015