Is it okay to carve pumpkins? This is a question that commonly comes up around Halloween for Christians. This time of year is often met with controversy and it can hard to know what to do. What is pleasing to God? Is having a carved pumpkin an offense to God or against your faith?
And let’s face it. It’s pretty hard to avoid the subject of Halloween with the displays and barrage of television programming. Ultimately, what your church or your family does is up to you. However, there are ways to honor God at this time of year and to ensure that God is the center of your family’s celebrations.
One of my favorite ways is with the Pumpkin Prayer. As you carve the pumpkin and create it’s design you can teach your little ones how to pray to Jesus along with reminding yourself to seek God.
As I carve my pumpkin, help me pray this prayer:
Open my mind so that I can learn about You;
(cut the top off the pumpkin)
Take all my sin and forgive the wrong that I do.
(clean out the inside)
Open my eyes so Your love I will see;
I’m sorry for times I’ve turned up my nose at what You’ve given to me.
(cut a nose in the shape of a cross)
Open my ears so Your word I will hear;
(cut ears shaped like a Bible)
Open my mouth to tell others You’re near.
- Find Your Beauty Needs At BSW Beauty - October 2, 2015
- Kevin Hart Becomes David Beckham For H&M (Sort Of!) - September 30, 2015
- Best Pictures From The Super Blood Moon - September 28, 2015
- Global Citizen Festival Highlights - September 27, 2015
- “The Voice” Blind Audition That You Have To See: Jordan Smith - September 22, 2015
- Best Quotes From The Primetime Emmy Awards - September 21, 2015
- 2015 Emmy Awards Red Carpet - September 20, 2015
- Sheryl Underwood Shows Class And Her Natural Hair In An Apology You Have To See - September 17, 2015
- Watch: Dwyane Wade And Gabrielle Union’s Wedding Video Is Everything - September 16, 2015
- Vanessa Williams Receives An Apology From Miss America 32 Years Later - September 14, 2015