Timing is everything. After years of looking at magazines, cutting pictures from them and hanging them on my wall which morphed into pinning my favorite images in them, to actually writing for top magazines and orchestrating high profile celebrity covers I have become the one on the cover. Yep, I landed my first magazine cover! I know those words are still sinking in.
There is just something about reading a magazine to catch up on everything. From entertainment to information magazines have been my go to down through the years. And yes, like every little girl I wanted to be on one. I dared to dream what it would be like to see myself on one of those covers.
But it didn’t happen at 18 when I became one of the first African-American Cheerleading Captains at Syracuse University. It didn’t happen when I landed the opportunity to be Barbara Walters for a day and co-hosted the national talk show “The View”. It didn’t happen when I became the first African-American woman to write, produce and Executive Produce the first dramatic feature film about maternal health in the U.S. which was selected by the American Black Film Festival, Pan-African Film Festival and others. It didn’t happen when my film was picked up by Netflix. It happened now.
And I am so grateful for it. It happened now where Buffalo Healthy Living Magazine chose to put me on the cover to tell my remarkable story of surviving Heart Failure and Preeclampsia and the miraculous reason that I survived which I share in my new book “Breathe” from Broadstreet Publishers.
It happened now when my viewpoint on what I want from life has changed so dramatically. My dream of being on a cover of a magazine went from being about “see me” to “seeing me”. Yes, I am seeing me in a new light. Near death has a way of changing your outlook on world. And a divine encounter will change your outlook on everyone in it, starting with yourself.
This cover is my opportunity to say “Breathe”. To say “See Me”. To say that “I Am Here”. I am here. I am here. I say this to myself and I say this to you. I am a capable, I am strong, I am a survivor. I am here. Being here and in this moment with you is a great gift.
When others see this cover it is my hope that they will say “I am here” also. Each of us has the opportunity to begin right now to change how we see ourselves and how we treat ourselves. I am someone who never dreamed that they would be faced with heart failure particularly at a young age. But I did. Yet, I am here.
The pregnancy disease Preeclampsia is what lead me to have a near fatal case of peripartum cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, kidney and lung failure. But I am here. And I have learned that, that… in part is my victory.
I am here and I shed who I thought I should be and wanted to be for who I am. I hope that you will see me on this cover. I hope that you will see someone who is strong, yet someone who when they are weak is still capable, someone who is bold, someone who will never give up, someone who is a survivor. I hope that through me and my story you will see that someone is you also.
Pick up your copy of Buffalo Healthy Living Magazine in stores now!
- Roald Dahl’s Charlie And The Chocolate Factory’s Hero Was Supposed To Be Black - September 15, 2017
- Marvel Studios Ant Man And The Wasp Sneak Peak! - August 3, 2017
- My Little Pony Celebrates The Magic Of Friendship Around The Globe - August 1, 2017
- Black Panther – The Movie Trailer And Pics You Have To See! #BlackPanther - July 25, 2017
- THOR: RAGNAROK – New Trailer and Poster #ThorRagnarok - July 24, 2017
- Here’s Why You Will Love The New Pixar Animated Short ‘Lou’ #Cars3Event - June 23, 2017
- BET Pre Awards Party Highlights! #BeTheGlow - June 23, 2017
- Cars 3 Director Brian Fee and Producer Kevin Reher Reveal Details About The Hit Film #Cars3Event - June 22, 2017
- Get Your Glow On At The BET Experience With AT&T #BeTheGlow - June 21, 2017
- Everything You Need To Know About #SummerOfHeroes At Disney California Adventure Park #Cars3Event - June 20, 2017