I not sure about where you live but where I live it’s starting to look like Christmas in July. It’s so hot that my chestnuts are beginning to roast on an open fire. And my once green grass is covered with falling brown leaves.
Hailing from Buffalo, NY I admit I welcome the hot temperatures. But this year’s hot temperatures have not been accompanied by much rain. Drought conditions are happening in more than half of the United States. The hot dry weather is having a tough impact on crops, trees, plants and shrubs.
How do you know if your trees, lawn and plants are suffering from the dry conditions? Wilted leaves, brown grass and leaves falling from trees prematurely are signs of stress from poor water conditions. If there is a pro to the drought conditions it’s with the lawn. Albeit not the prettiest site but a brown lawn means that your lawn has generally gone dormant. Yep. It’s not growing and not growing means no need to cut it. That’s a definite Pro. Straw colored grass is the least of worries during a drought. Grass can generally bounce back after a few weeks and turn green again.
Now I never claimed to have a green thumb but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do in a drought. Without enough moisture, plants can’t function normally and are predisposed to damage by pests or disease. The most at risk are newly planted or transplanted trees without extensive root systems or other plants with under-developed or damaged root systems.
Tips for caring for your plants and trees during a drought.
- Mulching helps retain tree moisture. Applying a layer of mulch 2-4 inches deep around trees and shrubs.
- Water plants, shrubs and trees when there is no direct sun in the early morning or evening.
- Only fertilize plants if you are committed to water them daily during a drought. Over fertilizing can end of damaging plants.
- Focus on suturing the root area of plants, shrubs and trees. Pouring onto the crown means
- that all of the water doesn’t reach the roots.
- I’m Headed To The A Wrinkle In Time Red Carpet Premiere! #AWrinkleInTimeEvent - February 22, 2018
- Black Panther Director Ryan Coogler Breaks Down A Scene And It’s Deep! #BlackPantherEvent - February 21, 2018
- Black Panther Is Visually Stunning. Here’s Who Made It Happen #BlackPantherEvent - February 20, 2018
- The Gifts That Every Black Panther Fan Needs #BlackPantherEvent - February 16, 2018
- Newcomer Winston Duke And Veteran Andy Serkis Spill On Black Panther #BlackPantherEvent - February 15, 2018
- My Black Panther Press Conference Experience (#SoLit) #BlackPantherEvent - February 14, 2018
- My Chat With Anthony Gonzalez “Miguel” From Disney Pixar’s Coco #CocoBluRay - February 13, 2018
- Chris Harrison Dishes On The Bachelor Winter Games #TheBachelorWinterGames - February 12, 2018
- Exclusive With Breakout Stars: Letitia Wright and Daniel Kaluuya Talk #BlackPantherEvent - February 9, 2018
- Exclusive: Forest Whitaker Dishes On Black Panther #BlackPantherEvent - February 8, 2018