I not sure about where you live but where I live it’s starting to look like Christmas in July. It’s so hot that my chestnuts are beginning to roast on an open fire. And my once green grass is covered with falling brown leaves.
Hailing from Buffalo, NY I admit I welcome the hot temperatures. But this year’s hot temperatures have not been accompanied by much rain. Drought conditions are happening in more than half of the United States. The hot dry weather is having a tough impact on crops, trees, plants and shrubs.
How do you know if your trees, lawn and plants are suffering from the dry conditions? Wilted leaves, brown grass and leaves falling from trees prematurely are signs of stress from poor water conditions. If there is a pro to the drought conditions it’s with the lawn. Albeit not the prettiest site but a brown lawn means that your lawn has generally gone dormant. Yep. It’s not growing and not growing means no need to cut it. That’s a definite Pro. Straw colored grass is the least of worries during a drought. Grass can generally bounce back after a few weeks and turn green again.
Now I never claimed to have a green thumb but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do in a drought. Without enough moisture, plants can’t function normally and are predisposed to damage by pests or disease. The most at risk are newly planted or transplanted trees without extensive root systems or other plants with under-developed or damaged root systems.
Tips for caring for your plants and trees during a drought.
- Mulching helps retain tree moisture. Applying a layer of mulch 2-4 inches deep around trees and shrubs.
- Water plants, shrubs and trees when there is no direct sun in the early morning or evening.
- Only fertilize plants if you are committed to water them daily during a drought. Over fertilizing can end of damaging plants.
- Focus on suturing the root area of plants, shrubs and trees. Pouring onto the crown means
- that all of the water doesn’t reach the roots.
- The DNC Anthem ‘Fight Song’ Is Pitch Perfect! - July 27, 2016
- Beyonce and Blue Ivy Twinning In Paris is Mother Daughter Goals! - July 26, 2016
- How To Wear High Heels - July 26, 2016
- The Jumpsuit You Will Want To Live In! Chic And Curvy Boutique and Bou Doir Series - July 21, 2016
- Pete’s Dragon FREE Activity Sheets! - July 21, 2016
- Maxi Mize The Summer! Bou Doir And Chic And Curvy Series - July 20, 2016
- Our Favorite Summer Olympians Of All Time - July 19, 2016
- Kids’ Choice Sports Awards All The Slimey Details! - July 15, 2016
- Here’s Everything That Happened At The 2016 Espys! - July 15, 2016
- Disney Is Making The ‘Nutcracker’ Movie Starring Misty Copeland! - July 14, 2016