Rosa Parks contribution to the very fabric of our nation is tenable. But the mother’s of the civil rights movement encountered some hard times when she was assaulted and robbed at the age of 81 in her hometown of Detroit.
That’s when Detroit billionaire Mitch Ilitch learned of her plight in the newspaper and that the federal judge on the case Damon Keith was looking for a safer place for Mrs. Parks to live.
Mr. Ilitch called the judge and told him that he would pay her rent…indefinitely. Mr. Ilitch went on to pay Rosa Parks’ rent for the last 11 years of her life.
Damon Keith said, “It’s important that people know what Mr. Mike Ilitch did for Ms. Rosa Parks because it’s symbolic of what he has always done for the people of our city.”
Ilitch passed away last week at the age of 87. The former Marine and minor league baseball player was born and raised in Detroit and went on to become the owner of the Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Tigers.
- Tell Me Something Good! A Live & Learn Mom On A Mission - March 3, 2017
- This Dad Delivering His Baby In The Car Will Give You All The Feels - March 10, 2017
- The Amazing Thing The Little Caesars Founder Did For Rosa Parks - March 8, 2017
- The Beauty Facts And Tips You Need To Know - March 8, 2017
- The BEAUTY AND THE BEAST World Premiere Was Everything You Thought It Would Be - March 3, 2017
- 5 Year Old’s Tribute To Historical Black Icons Will Inspire You - February 28, 2017
- #Oscars Best Dressed! Live & Learn Academy Awards Style - February 27, 2017
- A New Star Wars Story Production Begins! - February 28, 2017
- Live & Learn Style: Here’s How To Get Gabrielle Union’s Chic New Bob Hairstyle - February 24, 2017
- This Little Girl’s Response To A Bully Calling Her Ugly Is Priceless - February 21, 2017