Rosa Parks contribution to the very fabric of our nation is tenable. But the mother’s of the civil rights movement encountered some hard times when she was assaulted and robbed at the age of 81 in her hometown of Detroit.
That’s when Detroit billionaire Mitch Ilitch learned of her plight in the newspaper and that the federal judge on the case Damon Keith was looking for a safer place for Mrs. Parks to live.
Mr. Ilitch called the judge and told him that he would pay her rent…indefinitely. Mr. Ilitch went on to pay Rosa Parks’ rent for the last 11 years of her life.
Damon Keith said, “It’s important that people know what Mr. Mike Ilitch did for Ms. Rosa Parks because it’s symbolic of what he has always done for the people of our city.”
Ilitch passed away last week at the age of 87. The former Marine and minor league baseball player was born and raised in Detroit and went on to become the owner of the Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Tigers.
- FREE Cars 3 Activity Sheets & Games! #Cars3Event - May 29, 2017
- This Little Girl Showing Off Her New Leg Is What You Need To See Today - May 27, 2017
- I’m Headed To The Disney Pixar Cars 3 Red Carpet Premiere! #Cars3Event - May 20, 2017
- How To Match Outfits With Your Kid - May 10, 2017
- What Every New Mom Needs to Know! - May 8, 2017
- STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI – New Teaser Trailer and Poster! - April 14, 2017
- Fit Tea Review And Discount Code - April 13, 2017
- How To Wear High Heels - April 13, 2017
- #TravelTuesday: Girlfriends Getaway To Savannah, Georgia - April 11, 2017
- What Passion Sunday Is All About - April 9, 2017