Rosa Parks contribution to the very fabric of our nation is tenable. But the mother’s of the civil rights movement encountered some hard times when she was assaulted and robbed at the age of 81 in her hometown of Detroit.
That’s when Detroit billionaire Mitch Ilitch learned of her plight in the newspaper and that the federal judge on the case Damon Keith was looking for a safer place for Mrs. Parks to live.
Mr. Ilitch called the judge and told him that he would pay her rent…indefinitely. Mr. Ilitch went on to pay Rosa Parks’ rent for the last 11 years of her life.
Damon Keith said, “It’s important that people know what Mr. Mike Ilitch did for Ms. Rosa Parks because it’s symbolic of what he has always done for the people of our city.”
Ilitch passed away last week at the age of 87. The former Marine and minor league baseball player was born and raised in Detroit and went on to become the owner of the Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Tigers.
- Roald Dahl’s Charlie And The Chocolate Factory’s Hero Was Supposed To Be Black - September 15, 2017
- Marvel Studios Ant Man And The Wasp Sneak Peak! - August 3, 2017
- My Little Pony Celebrates The Magic Of Friendship Around The Globe - August 1, 2017
- Black Panther – The Movie Trailer And Pics You Have To See! #BlackPanther - July 25, 2017
- THOR: RAGNAROK – New Trailer and Poster #ThorRagnarok - July 24, 2017
- Here’s Why You Will Love The New Pixar Animated Short ‘Lou’ #Cars3Event - June 23, 2017
- BET Pre Awards Party Highlights! #BeTheGlow - June 23, 2017
- Cars 3 Director Brian Fee and Producer Kevin Reher Reveal Details About The Hit Film #Cars3Event - June 22, 2017
- Get Your Glow On At The BET Experience With AT&T #BeTheGlow - June 21, 2017
- Everything You Need To Know About #SummerOfHeroes At Disney California Adventure Park #Cars3Event - June 20, 2017