I’ve always loved the idea of not being confined or limited to one area. Al Jarreau is one of those artist who couldn’t be put in a conventional box or category. The seven time Grammy winner was loosely categorized as a Jazz singer but went on to win Grammy categories for Jazz and Pop music for “We’re In This Love Together” from the 1981 album “Breakin’ Away” that sold over 1 million copies. The eclectic vocalists who experimented with rock and reggae was also known as the “Acrobat of Scat” which I totally conquer with. The rhythmic quality that he brought to scat was amazing and enchanting.
I became familiar with Al Jarreau’s music as a young dancer who often selected his songs for my performances. Al Jarreau cemented a place in my heart when he recorded the theme song from the hit television series “Moonlighting”. He is one of the artists whose music allows you to transport back to feelings, time and space.
As an actor who blended music he was my favorite Teen Angel in the Broadway rendition of “Grease”. It is with much sadness that we learned of the icon’s passing at the age of 76. But it is with much joy that we know that his music and legacy will live on.
Here are our favorite Al Jarreau songs.
“We’re In This Love Together”
Who could forget the theme song to “Moonlighting”?
- Tell Me Something Good! A Live & Learn Mom On A Mission - March 3, 2017
- This Dad Delivering His Baby In The Car Will Give You All The Feels - March 10, 2017
- The Amazing Thing The Little Caesars Founder Did For Rosa Parks - March 8, 2017
- The Beauty Facts And Tips You Need To Know - March 8, 2017
- The BEAUTY AND THE BEAST World Premiere Was Everything You Thought It Would Be - March 3, 2017
- 5 Year Old’s Tribute To Historical Black Icons Will Inspire You - February 28, 2017
- #Oscars Best Dressed! Live & Learn Academy Awards Style - February 27, 2017
- A New Star Wars Story Production Begins! - February 28, 2017
- Live & Learn Style: Here’s How To Get Gabrielle Union’s Chic New Bob Hairstyle - February 24, 2017
- This Little Girl’s Response To A Bully Calling Her Ugly Is Priceless - February 21, 2017